- 1 cup of long grain rice
- 2 carrots (chopped small or grated)
- ½ cup of peas (frozen or tinned)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 2 cups of hot water
- ½ cup grated cheese
- ½ teaspoon of salt
Optional: add meat, fish, curry powder or other vegetables to give it variety.
- Heat the oil in a medium sized saucepan and add the onions. Cook for 5 minutes until the onion is softened.
- Add the rice and stir for couple of seconds.
- Add the hot water, tin of tomatoes, carrots and peas.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice has soaked up all the water.
- Add salt to taste.
- Put the grated cheese over the top and eat!
With thanks to Nourish Foodbank
Got a recipe that makes great use of food surplus? Please email it to email@example.com